Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Turkey Soup

Dear All,

I feel so un-American. I must confess that in my mild desperation to use up our turkey, I have discovered that what I don't like about turkey leftovers is, in fact, the turkey.

Fried chicken can be so tempting and delicious. I thought, "Frying makes everything better, doesn't it?" Just the smell as I was stripping off the meat should have been a red flag. I tried a fried piece; to the extent turkey was like chicken, it was just fine. The ways in which turkey was not like chicken proved that turkey was not meant to be fried; at all; ever; under any circumstances; not even a little.

"Turkey soup", I thought, "What a tempting treat. Add celery, onions, carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper and you'll have a feast fit for a king." I boiled the bones and strained out the pieces that were not broth. I added the beloved vegetables, and tried the soup. The vegetables were wonderful; what I disliked about the concoction was the turkey part; it was really gamy. The thought of it turns my stomach even now.

I consider myself to be a resourceful person, one who is not unduly wasteful. I must, however, admit defeat. I feel as though I have failed this turkey, my family, and this entire nation! No, not really; I do, however, feel the teensiest bit un-American.

Sincerely,
Betsy

No comments: