Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

Dear All,

Well- it has finally happened. I have turned another year older. Today I am thirty-nine. How did I celebrate today? I went to my psyche's office.

First, I was a half hour late. Apparently on the machine, there had been left a message that said I should be there at 10 a.m., but the correct time was 9:30. So, already, right off the bat I have inconvenienced someone.

We are playing with my cocktail of drugs right now because I am too anxious and don't seem to be able to get out of bed unless it is absolutely necessary (i.e., it would be more trouble not to get out of bed than to get out of bed). Now I have four psychiatric prescriptions: Citalopram (for Depression), Bupropion (for Depression), Adderall (for ADD), and now a new one: Remeron (for Anxiety).

Let it be said that I am extremely grateful for these visits. They get me out of bed, and I always feel better with the adjustments to my meds. Still- my next appointment is scheduled for two weeks. Usually I can go six weeks between appointments.

As I told them in the nice lady behind the desk at my psych office, "Today is my birthday, and I have a psych appointment. December 24th is my wedding anniversary, and I have a psych appointment. Every special occasion needs to be marked by a trip to the psych!" I was not being sarcastic; I genuinely enjoy my trips to the psych, so we all had a good laugh. It was good to laugh, even on my thirty-ninth birthday.

Sincerely,
Betsy

No comments: